Before being allowed to borrow, you must read and sign the Herman Prior Tool Library Lending Policy Agreement, fill out and sign a membership application and waiver and present acceptable proof of identify and separate proof of residency. Proof of identity can be a driver’s license, passport, or other government-issued identification with photo. Proof of residency can be a utility bill, mortgage statement, lease agreement, car-insurance or registration card, or similar document that shows a current address in our the city or RM of Portage la Prairie, in the last 30 days.
Herman Prior Tool Library Policy
- Members must be age 18 or over to borrow tools from Herman Prior Tool Library.
- Prior to borrowing tools, all Members must (a) complete a Membership Application verifying that they have read and will abide by both the Rules and Borrowing Policy; (b) sign the Waiver and Indemnification Form, and (c) have their residence confirmed by a Tool Library volunteer or member of the staff. Completing a Membership Application includes the completion of the Membership Application form and verification of the Member’s identity. Verifications of the Member’s identity is accomplished by presenting a valid government-issued photo ID and the second form of identification that includes a current address dated within the last 30 days. (current lease/rental agreement (with patron’s name listed as the tenant), or current tax bill (in patron’s name), utility bill …)
- Before borrowing any tool or piece of equipment, the borrower shall sign a form of WAIVER AND INDEMNIFICATION to be provided by the Library, which will be kept on file at the Herman Prior Tool Library. The borrower acknowledges that he or she is capable of using the tool in a safe and proper manner.
- Volunteers are available to assist in explaining the operation of tools. However, by taking possession of any item, the Member is certifying that he or she is capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
- Only the Member is authorized to use Library tools. The Member shall not permit the use of items checked out to him or her by any other person unless by the express permission of the Library.
- Prior to borrowing tools with a cumulative value of over $100, all Members must provide a valid credit card number. The charge will be made at that time, and a refund issued when the tool(s) are returned.
- Members will not specifically be charged for borrowing any tool but will be advised as to the suggested donation for the tools that they are borrowing. $1 manual, $2 for tools with batteries or cords, $5 for tools that need more regular maintenance of replacement parts (ex. blades)
- All tools borrowed are to be returned to the Library by close of business on their due date. Tools may only be returned during Herman Prior Activity Centre hours Monday to Friday 9-4pm. Please attempt to give 24 hours notice so a volunteer can be here to assist.
- If a tool is returned late, the Member will be responsible for late fees, as posted. Late fees are capped at the full replacement cost of the tool plus a $10 administrative fee per tool. The Library may replace severely delinquent tools, holding the Member responsible for the full replacement cost plus a $10 administrative fee. Fines must be paid in full before borrowing additional items.
- The Library reserves the right to use appropriate steps to retrieve delinquent tools or unpaid fines and fees, including the use of a collection agency and/or legal action and assess the delinquent Member with the cost of any such action. The Library also reserves the right to forgive fees due to special circumstances.
- Reservations for borrowing and returning tools should be made 24 hours in advance so a volunteer can be available to lend it out. The Tool Library reserves the right to make an exception to this policy for large, community events. No exceptions will be made for individual lending.
- Loan periods for tools are two, three or seven days, depending upon the demand and type of tool. The borrower agrees to return any borrowed item on or before the due date in the same condition, normal wear and tear excepted, as when it was borrowed. The borrower agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any tool on loan to him or her. The borrower further understands that fines will be levied for each item kept past the due date. Repeated failure to return tools on time may result in revocation of borrowing privileges.
- All tools are to be returned in the same (or better) condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. All tools must be returned clean. The Member agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any item and further agrees to accept the Library’s assessment of the condition of items and to further agree to the Library’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency, and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount could equal the full replacement cost of the item plus a $5 administrative fee.
- Members may renew each tool once if (a) the Member contacts the Library by noon on the day that the tool is due, and (b) no other Member has reserved the tool. Members can also not have any late fees when they renew. Renewals can only be made over the phone (during shop hours only) or in person. Renewal rates are as posted. The Library reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals and will do so based on demand.
- The Member agrees that the Library is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in the quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed tools.
- The Member agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify the Library of the issue on return, if not earlier.
- When tools are not returned by the designated due date, the Herman Prior Tool Library will issue an overdue notice. If the tools are not returned after the notice has been sent, appropriate steps will be taken to retrieve them, including by collection agency and/or legal action.
- The Herman Prior Tool Lending Library retains the right to refuse the loan of any item for failure to comply with any of the above rules and regulations, or for falsification of any information.
- No more than 3 items may be borrowed at any one time.
- The Herman Prior Tool Lending Library reserves the right to alter the tool policy at any point.
- I affirm that the information that I have provided on the Membership Application is current, true, and correct. I understand that this information may be subject to verification.
- I further state that I have read and fully understand the rules and regulations of the Herman Prior Tool Library, and I understand that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of my borrowing privileges and/or legal action against me. I have read and signed a Waiver and Indemnification form, relinquishing any and all claims against the Herman Prior Tool Library and Herman Prior Activity Centre.
Please check the box and add your signature to the space provided on the Membership Form, acknowledging that you have read and agree to the Herman Prior Tool Library’s Tool Use Policy.